UNITED Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Happy Place is a Nice Place to Be [[R.I.P Sean]]

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Hello United Radio friends
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 6:24 am by Fang54

» Weekly DJ Schedule
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 5:12 am by Fang54

» Guess the Radio Babies
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:43 pm by NetChick

» Quotes
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 1:51 pm by mum

» Forum's Back
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 4:01 pm by mum

» The Digital Economy Act 2010
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm by casper

» Pics. :)
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:27 pm by Laurapooh

» So You Think You Can Be A DJ?
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:46 pm by SPAWN

» mIRC help
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 pm by ThatOneDude

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.

Go down 
+12
Travis_Bickle
mum
HOTROD
NetChick
smittee62
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius
hellzone102
SecretAgentGirl808
Elxa
lexie
Toxin
casper
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should Radio go with what the listeners want and restrictions lifted or stay where some songs that contain cusswords are Blocked??
1 - Let's go with the new and allow cusswords in songs.
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_vote_lcap52%VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_vote_rcap
 52% [ 13 ]
2 - Stay with what we have now.
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_vote_lcap12%VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_vote_rcap
 12% [ 3 ]
3 - I'm not bothered either way.
VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_vote_lcap36%VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_vote_rcap
 36% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
casper
Admin
casper

Number of posts : 102
Where You Live : Dundee/Scotland
Registration date : 2007-05-04

VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. Empty
PostSubject: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 3:47 pm

VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. Denied

Some time ago Radio was restricted as in what content was played live on radio. This came about when several DJ's at the time (who are now no longer DJ's) had Children that may be in background, making Radio limit was gets played on air..... This is an OLD rule and needs changed or at least reviewed.

This is coming up as a topic due to two DJ's have recently been victim of an out dated rule that appears to be written in blood and must be the way Radio continues to serve YOU the listeners.... I feel hard done by when I skip many tunes that are in my playlist soon as i hear half a cuss word. to be questioned about one word which is from the song "Teenagers - My Chemical Romance" word in question is "SHIT" teenagers scare the living shit out of me I think is maybe taking this rule a bit too far.

So seen as this is YOUR Radio and your opinions matter, What do YOU The Listeners want on the air??
Back to top Go down
http://www.xxunitedradioxx.net
Toxin
Toxin

Number of posts : 9
Where You Live : Florida
Hobbies & Pastimes : Djing, Martial Arts, Playing Piano!!
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:43 am

Hello Casper,
I feel like replying just because of what i feel on this situation. Personally, as a listener i can enjoy listening to tunes i've never heard before. As far as this curse word situation is concerned, i honestly don't mind either way whether i hear the curseword(s) in a song, which is how i voted. I understand what your saying about the rule with the My Chemical Romance Song: Teenages. Now i think some songs like that should be ok to play on the Radio, excess cursing on the other hand i would still not play just because of the fact that there are still DJ's with children of there own or some child present. That's the only reason why i don't think the excessive curse words in songs should be played, but like i said either way i'm not really bothered by it, there are many of tunes to enjoy that do not contain cursewords. Well thanks for reading. Talk to ya Soon. Smile
~Toxin
Back to top Go down
http://Toxxy69@Hotmail.com
lexie
lexie

Number of posts : 26
Where You Live : fairyworld (UK)
Registration date : 2007-05-08

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:27 am

Heya Guys,
I gotta agree with Toxin in some ways, Smile, I actully dont mind what songs are being played. and like he says radio is a way to listen to new tunes that youve never heard before, or wouldnt normally listen to.
the 2 main songs in question i think should be taken lightly... i like the teenagers song, and the this aint a scene song, and as far as im aware most people enjoy them tooo... they are fun and enjoyable... so should we really let the fact they have mild swear words in sacrafice the enjoyment of them Smile? although i CAN understand if people do find them offencive.
I am NOT towards heavy swearing, and i think there is a limit to what we can play, however i think the limit should allow a little slack... "shit" "damn" "crap" are common words that nearly everyone can use every day in life. whats the diffrence in them being in music? however words being delibatly offencive and genrally not nice song should not be being played on the radio... as these songs are genrally poor anyway, also we shudnt play a song if it is threatning. its the songs that are mild and barely noticed because they could even be classed as common, they should be allowed in some ways. my point is there is a diffrence... and maybe we should be taking this into concideration Smile
ALSO i would like to add, songs with one maybe two mild swear words shudnt cause a probblem? as its a one off in the song...
Most songs dont have swears anyway ... x
lexie

Last edited by lexie on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.lexieangel.com
Elxa

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:40 am

hiya casper, know i hvn't been around lately (huckduck is my name) but my 2 cents is that as long as the f-word and sexually explicit lyrics are out, then that's fine.

my example would be in the states. its no where near using cuss words but Fallout Boy - This Ain't a Scene its a Goddamn Arms Race, the americans are really touchy about that song, so they cut out the word God out of every line in that song. so it throws the the rhythm off but thats how they get around the religious fanatics in the states.

so i think as long as the DJs use their common sense, some swearing should be ok
Back to top Go down
SecretAgentGirl808
SecretAgentGirl808

Number of posts : 98
Where You Live : Hawaii
Registration date : 2007-08-18

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 1:13 pm

While I don't mind the music either way, I wouldn't want United to fall prey to all the demands of the masses. Depending on the content of the song, DJ discretion is the best. If the DJ KNOWS the song may be offensive, then it's a simple matter of not playing it. If the profanity level in a song is mild, I'd think it'd be all right to play. & as I don't expect a DJ to "review" the song before it's played, I'd try to find a radio version if possible. Artists can't release a song on the radio without having a censored version. As for sexuality in a song, unless it's outright overtly sexual, I don't see why it couldn't be aired. There's a lot of songs about masturbation that are mainstream & most ppl don't KNOW it's about self pleasure. Aside from just chatting in the radio room there's A LOT of innuendo. But what it all comes down to is what all you DJ's think will be best for United. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/codename_duchess
casper
Admin
casper

Number of posts : 102
Where You Live : Dundee/Scotland

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 2:17 pm

To maybe clarify a bit..... songs that have obsenitys in them still wont be played (e.g. "fuck you nigger"), anything with likes of sexual content... (e.g. "lick my pussy") I for one still wouldnt play.

There is many comedy songs which may have sexual words/cussing in them, an example of a song played is My Ding A Ling although no sexual words are mentioned the innuendo is still there.

All i am really taliking about is songs with mild cuss words being allowed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.xxunitedradioxx.net
hellzone102

hellzone102

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:30 pm

i agree with what casper has to say
Back to top Go down
http://google.com
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius
United DJ
United DJ
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius

Number of posts : 12
Where You Live : UK
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:43 pm

secretagentgirl ... love your comments and agree totally
Back to top Go down
Toxin
Toxin

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:59 pm

Alright adding more here lol, bear with me,
Yes its very clear that
excessive cursing with the F word should still not be played, we
already bypass "ass" and "damn". Think of this, Gwen Stefani's song:
Holla back Girl, we had that played about a week ago, has the word
"shit" in it, but it's said over and over again in an excessive manner,
so maybe adding "shit" to the list of curse words to bypass is
something to consider, but you still have to think that there are songs
like that that are still excessive with it.
However........ My
main argument in this discussion is this, as a LISTENER i personally do
not mind what curse words are played and are not played, you could play
a song and edit it and i would enjoy the song just as much because it
was played for me, but the only reason this rule was in place and we
are disscussing it now is because there were DJ's that had children in
the background somewhere, well we are in the same situation still,
there are still DJ's out there with children somewhere in the
background (e.g. HOTROD). As i've said, i do not mind either way, but
part of me is straying toward leaving it as is. Thanks for reading and
putting up with me Very Happy
~Toxin
Back to top Go down
smittee62

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 4:56 pm

I have no problem with mild cuss words.
Say and play as if your grandparents, parents and children were there with you as you chat and play the tunes.
Smittee62
Back to top Go down
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius
United DJ
United DJ
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 3:16 am

Oo lol i like smittee62's comments too

thats a great way to view it !

But ... each of us has different standards for whats acceptable for grandparents, parents etc . My Dad would probably faint if i said the 'F' word, but my childrens Great Grandmother would probably be the first to say it, and add a couple that would make my toes curl!!! My children can out swear a drunken batchelor party also! Laughing and both have a GREAT taste in music, which includes all genres and includes ones with cussing ( they are teenagers ) I have to say they were raised NOT hearing any swears from home/radio/tv or films, but seem to have picked it up anyway!

Back to secretagents comments, i think DJs discretions is a good one, so if you know you have children or easily offended tuned, stay away from cuss words, if you know your audience is mature then a mild profanity could be acceptable Smile If in doubt dont play it or type a WARNING so sounds could be muted

I'd hate to offend ANYONE, my usual thing is to sing la la la la to cover up a swear if i know its coming and most people find this amusing even if they wanted to hear the song in the form in which the artist meant for it to be played.

please all remember the 50's and the ABSOLUTE stink that rock n roll caused, the burning of albums in streets and SHOCK HORROR, that Elvis Presley boy and his gyrating hips. I guess some things never change and the music field moves on in ways that continue to shock some people.

I love ALL music - Rock N Roll aint noise pollution ! w0000000t
Back to top Go down
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius
United DJ
United DJ
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 3:17 am

PS Dont i go on???

lol
Back to top Go down
NetChick
Admin
NetChick

Number of posts : 306
Where You Live : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 9:28 am

Alright, time for me to finally state my opinion (haha you knew i would have one eventually). And just for the record Yes Marcus you do go on and on and on ....(duracell wants you). Now back to the matter at hand:

We have a great team of DJs (ALL of them) at this point and time. Everyone of them have very excellent taste in music and play the most awesome tunes out there. The team works well together, its a pleasure to be around when all are active. Thats NOW! I would not think twice about their DJ discretion...theirs are impeccable.

But then you have the new DJ that wants to push the envelope so to speak, break out of the mold. And play all out Swears and illicit material.
Without some guidelines, this is assured to happen and will. (admit it you know it will)

So i believe that the everyday common words such as damn, hell, crap and shit (and bitch- gotta have my song) should be allowed if not repeatedly used in the song. You know the song that goes "oh shit" all the way thru it?
I dispuise that song! You can't even put in there offensive because what i find offensive you may not.

Vulgarity and Racial slurs should NEVER be played (my opinion). To me that ruins the song entirely. But after reading the comments here, I would say that everyone so far agrees with this.

NOW for the most important part ... Chickety Chicken, LLama Song and the Hampster Dance song should be totally WIPED from everyone's computer ...

As i said before, we have a GREAT TEAM of DJs right now! Some are riding out on the left wing, but hopefully they'll be back on the mic before long!

Thanks everyone for your excellent responses!
(yeah yeah marcus, Duracell wants me too)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/_netchick_
Toxin
Toxin

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:46 am

Awwww, but i like the Llama song and the hamster dance Netty, No Fair
lol!
OH Well lol
~Toxin
Back to top Go down
HOTROD

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 11:10 am

well like i said im a bad typer so bare with me
maybe its time for a change well i guess the ppl tuned should decide too ...maybe we should take a poll from the ppl tuned when each dj comes on and ask the room what they wanna hear.. but its still up to the dj wether he or she wants to play the tune
so ill just say this agn
im glad to be a part of this crew here an ty for havin me.... an my kids do listen so that would be my only concern but i ultamitly have control of whati listen too
Back to top Go down
Toxin
Toxin

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 11:29 am

Bad Typer Nothing HOTROD, lol
Anyway, that was actually my point was the fact that this rule was in place because of past DJ's having children in background somewhere, and honestly Sorry for using you as the example lol but you are a current DJ's with children, So we still have the same situation as when the rue came out orignally, but what i do agree with is that you as well as everyone else that tunes in ultamitly has control of what they listen to, DJ's could warn the listeners ahead of time there will be a song with mild swears and they can mute or turn down speakers as needed, as for me, i've sasid this before i would still enjoy a song even if the word is edited out, i have little kids i babysit for that are like 8 and still enjoy the soulja boy tunes even though they are edited. I find no trouble in playing the song with swears, i don't mind getting the song in an edited version an play it just so the LISTENER gets there tune. I am not bothered either way on either playing or staying the same, DJ's overall know what they are doing when choosing to play a song. Sorry for going on and on, i like to debate and argue points so yeah.
~Toxin
Back to top Go down
mum
mum

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 11:48 am

rabbit OK .....listen to your mum......lol...i know you all DO (not) but my opinion very much reflects what has already been aired....YES to the mild bits n bobs...but no mudderfreckers.etc or outright vulgarity, because there just is no need for it...i think as DJs and listeners we all have varied tastes, but at the end of the day its about having fun too...we shouldnt forget that!!!!

Most of all lets keep good music on the best station around ! rabbit <<<< or i will bite yas wiv me BIG TEEFS xx
Back to top Go down
Travis_Bickle

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Moving Forward or Stay the Same?   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 1:31 pm

My take on the whole thing is to move forward but not like full-fleged playin' NWA and Snoop Dog like mum said. I think context has a lot to do with it. For example, most of your gansta rap is usually just sayin' curse words just to say curse words which to me as just a listener of music at home takes the semi-shock value out of the word itself and is quite unimaginative. But, as far as being a Dj and a listener on the big, bad, best United Radio, i think there are a laundry list of songs that have one or two swear words that use it in the right context like havin' a 'fucked' up day or what have you. Repetiiveness should be right out, gangsta rap and anything that just uses the word as an image of their style of music. I"ve been goin' through all my music and had to toss out a lot of good tunes over one f'inheimer that really has no demographic demeaning towards a group of people or is really not offensive in that manner at all, usually saying it about the character in the song or like i said before a situation that is "fucked" up. So, if you understand where i'm coimin' from, give a silent nod and let's move on to loosen'in up the grip a little bit and not playin' net nanny like the FCC or somethin'. Thanks for posin' this issue. The Radio Slave.
P.S. Mums is saggy hehehehehehehe
Back to top Go down
mum
mum

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 pm

Trust you to waffle on Travis_Bickle....be ready for your beating very SOON !!!!!

And good that peeps have aired their views cheers
Back to top Go down
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius
United DJ
United DJ
BorgQueen/MarcusAurelius

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 3:45 pm

The hamster song is not the 'chipmunks' tune ... lol i think its Harry the Hamster - he's pretty rude

I have him on video if anyone wants a copy!

Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Toxin
Toxin

Hobbies &amp;amp;amp;amp; Pastimes : Djing, Martial Arts, Playing Piano!!

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I Think Marcus is thinking of the wrong hamster dance song, cuz i don't think its this Harry the Hamster she is talking about, he sounds to creepy to do the hamster DANCE song. lol idk tho, we need these tunes played to settle the issue don't we Marcus, plus it might drive Netty Bonkers. lmao
~Toxin
Back to top Go down
lexie
lexie

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 12:31 am

oi meany Razz

NetChick wrote:
So i believe that the everyday common words such as damn, hell, crap and shit (and bitch- gotta have my song) should be allowed if not repeatedly used in the song. You know the song that goes "oh shit" all the way thru it?
I dispuise that song! You can't even put in there offensive because what i find offensive you may not.

I love you exactly
on the lines of what i mean, kind of *sigh*
Back to top Go down
lexie
lexie

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 12:33 am

whos hampton and whys he dancing!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hellzone102

hellzone102

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 pm

i say let cuss words go, but if the song offends people in the song then it should not be played
Back to top Go down
http://google.com
lexie
lexie

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:39 pm

that might be best x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.   VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VOTE for Same Old Same or lets MATURE.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next